How We Share Your InformationWe may share information about you with certain third parties in the following circumstances:
We may also share aggregate or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you, for various purposes including compliance with various reporting obligations; for business or marketing purposes; or to assist third parties in understanding our users' interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.Our Legal Bases for Handling Your Personal InformationThe laws in some jurisdictions require companies to tell you about the legal grounds they rely on to use or disclose your Personal Information. To the extent those laws apply, our legal grounds are as follows:
- Companies under common control: We may share data between and among any current or future parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and other companies under common control and ownership with Hello world.
- Vendors and service providers: We may share Personal Information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need to access the data
- in order to perform services on our behalf, such as providing cloud-hosting or cloud-storage services.
- Business transfers: We may share Personal Information with another company in connection with or during negotiations of any merger, acquisition, financing, re-organization, bankruptcy, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of services to another provider.
- Legal requirements: We may share Personal Information when we believe it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, including lawful requests from public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We may also share Personal Information when we believe it is necessary to protect Hello world's rights and property, to protect the safety of our users, and to defend against legal liability.
- Consent: We may share Personal Information with third parties with your consent and at your direction, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide that information.
- Hello world Instructors: In the course of providing our Service, we also share Personal Information about students with our instructors to enable instructors to communicate with students and to assist instructors in understanding each student's individual needs and capabilities.
- Social Media Platforms: Our Service may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools such as widgets, which allow students to share information from their Hello world account with third-party social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter. Using these social sharing features is optional.
- Public Forums and Publicly Available Content: We offer several features that allow our students to connect and share content in public or semi-public spaces. Students do not have to use these features, but if they do, they should be sure to use good judgement. Certain information in students' profiles such as their username and photo or avatar, the projects they choose to share, and any other information they disclose in the public or semi-public areas of Hello world's Service, may be read, collected, stored, or used by others.
- Legitimate interest. In most cases, we handle Personal Information on the ground that it furthers our legitimate interests in commercial activities such as the following in ways that are not overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the affected individuals:
Providing the Service pursuant to our contract with our customerso
Marketing our businesso
Protecting our customers, personnel, and propertyo
Analyzing and improving our businesso
Processing job or other applications
Your Rights and ChoicesYou have a variety of rights and choices related to our use of your Personal Information.
- Legal compliance. We need to use and disclose Personal Information in certain ways to comply with our legal obligations.
- To honor our contractual commitments to an individual. Some of our processing of Personal Information is to meet our contractual obligations to the individual to whom the Personal Information pertains.
- Consent. Where required by law, and in some other cases, we handle Personal Information on the basis of implied or express consent. For instance, in relation to direct marketing, we will obtain and rely on your consent in relation to the processing concerned.
If you are a resident of California, California law requires us to disclose the following information with respect to our collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal Information.
- Opting out of email marketing. You can opt out of receiving our promotional emails at any time by following the instructions included in those emails. Please be aware that it may take up to 10 days for us to process your request, and you may continue receiving promotional communications from us during that period. If you opt out of receiving such communications, please note that we may continue to send you non-promotional emails (such as emails related to our business relationship or emails about changes to our legal terms).
- Restricting cookies/Do Not Track. Hello world does not change its behavior in response to web browser “do not track" signals. However, you can configure most browsers to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie, giving you a chance to decide whether or not to accept it. You can consult the help section of your browser to find out how to do this. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Service.
- Limiting Information in Your Hello world Profile. You can control the information we collect about you or your child by limiting what information you provide in your Hello world profile.
- Limiting Information Available Through Social Media Platforms. If you want to limit or stop receipt of information from third-party social media platforms, you can change your privacy settings on those other websites. You also may choose not to use social features we make available.
- Access, Update, or Delete Your Information. If you are already a Hello world user, you may access, update, or delete Personal Information you have provided through your account settings or by emailing us at email@example.com. You may also remove certain optional information that you no longer wish to be publicly available through the Service, such as your photo or avatar. If you no longer wish to use the Service, you may close your account. To learn how to close your account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may keep certain Personal Information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations or for legitimate business purposes, such as to resolve disputes or enforce our agreements. We may also keep cached archived copies of Personal Information for a certain period of time.
- Data Requests. In some instances you may be eligible to request that we provide access to and/or a copy of certain Personal Information we hold about you; ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated, or erased; object to our processing of your Personal Information; request that we restrict certain processing; transfer your Personal Information to a third party; or honor your withdrawal of consent for certain processing of your Personal Information. We will consider all requests and provide our response within the time period stated by applicable law. Please note, however, that certain information may be exempt from such requests in some circumstances, which may include if we need to keep processing your information for our legitimate interest or to comply with a legal obligation. Before responding to your request, we may require that you provide us with additional information to confirm your identity. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the authorities applicable to your situation. However, we invite you to contact us with any concern, as we would be happy to try to resolve it directly.
- Notice of Collection. Although the information we collect is described in greater detail in the “Information We Collect" section above, the categories of Personal Information that we have collected – as described by the CCPA – including in the past 12 months are:
such as name, email address, mailing address, and IP address. We collect this information directly from you or from third- party sources.o Other individual customer records,
such as phone number, billing address, and payment card information. This category includes personal information protected under pre-existing California law (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)), and overlaps with other categories listed here.o Commercial information,
such as purchasing information and engagement with our Service. We collect this information directly from you.o Demographic information,
such as age. We collect this information directly from you.o Internet activity,
such as referring and exiting pages and your interactions with our Service. We collect this information directly from your device.o Geolocation data,
such as IP address. We collect this information directly from your device.o Financial Information,
such as payment information or financial account numbers in order to provide you with services. We collect this information directly from you.o Employment information,
such as company name and job title. We collect this information directly from you.o Sensory information,
such as photos.o Inferences, such as information about your interests and preferences.
Children's PrivacyMany features of our Service are intended for adults, including parents or legal guardians and instructors. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children in connection with these features. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under the age of 13 (or a higher age threshold where applicable) has given us Personal Information without your consent, please contact us at email@example.com.When we do intend to collect Personal Information from children, we take additional steps to protect children's privacy, including:
- Business or Commercial Purpose for Collecting and Using Personal Information. We collect each category of Personal Information listed above for the business or commercial purposes described in the “How We Use Your Information" section above.
- Categories of Sources of Personal Information. We collect each category of Personal Information listed above directly from you, through automatic data collection means, or through the third-party sources described in the “Information We Collect" section above.
- Categories of Personal Information Disclosed. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the categories of Personal Information listed above in the circumstances described in the “How We Share Your Information" section above.
- Categories of Third Parties With Whom We Share Personal Information. We may share each category of Personal Information listed above with the third parties described in the “How We Share Your Information" section above.
- Right to Know. California residents may request disclosure of the specific pieces and/or categories of Personal Information that we have collected about them, the categories of sources for that Personal Information, the business or commercial purposes for collecting the information, the categories of Personal Information that we have disclosed, and the categories of third parties with which the information was shared. To request this information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to Opt-Out. Hello world does not sell Personal Information to third parties for monetary value. However, the term “sale" is defined broadly in the CCPA. To the extent that “sale" under the CCPA is interpreted to include any of the data uses described in the “How We Use Your Information" section above, California residents are entitled to opt out of the “sale" of data at any time.
- Deletion. You may request that we delete the Personal Information we have collected about you (subject to certain exceptions). Please be aware that we may keep certain information as required or permitted by applicable law. To exercise this right, please contact us at email@example.com or using our contact information below.
- Authorized Agent. You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. To do so, you must provide a valid power of attorney, the requester's valid government-issued identification, and the authorized agent's valid government-issued identification. To verify the request, we may contact you directly.
- Right to Non-Discrimination. Limiting use of, or deleting, your Personal Information may affect features and uses that rely on that information. However, we will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights, including denying you goods or services, providing you with a different level or quality of services, or charging you different prices or rates for services.
- Shine the Light. California Civil Code § 1798.83, also known as the “Shine The Light" law, permits California residents to request and obtain from us, once a year and free of charge, information about categories of Personal Information (if any) we disclosed to third parties for direct marketing purposes and the names and addresses of all third parties with which we shared Personal Information in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to us using the contact information provided below.
- Notifying parents about our information practices with regard to children, including the types of Personal Information we may collect from children, the uses to which we may put that information, and whether and with whom we may share that information;
- In accordance with applicable law, and our practices, obtaining consent from parents for the collection of Personal Information from their children, or for sending information about our products and services directly to their children;
- Limiting our collection of Personal Information from children to no more than is reasonably necessary to participate in an online activity; and
- Giving parents access or the ability to request access to Personal Information we have collected from their children and the ability to request that the Personal Information be changed or deleted.